With a network that is 99.9% digital and includes the latest in wireless and satellite communication, the country has the most developed telecoms network in Africa. As such, the ELIDZ is continuing to focus on the ICT and Electronics Sector.
South African companies are global leaders in pre-payment, revenue management and fraud prevention systems, and in the manufacture of set-top boxes, all of which are exported successfully to the rest of the world.
Export growth and internationalisation of South African companies is supported by the Department of Trade and Industry via South African Electrotechnical Export Council (SAEEC).
It is estimated that that there are more than 20,000 companies in the ICT sector that contributes approximately 8% to South Africa’s GDP. South Africa’s IT sector is generally robust, has access to the latest technologies and methodologies and underpins the operations of most other sectors of the economy. There is, however, a significant shortage of specialised skills in the sector.
Several international corporates, recognised as leaders in the IT sector, operate subsidiaries from South Africa, including IBM, Unisys, Microsoft, Intel, Systems Application Protocol (SAP), Dell, Novell and Compaq.
Testing and piloting systems and applications are growing businesses in South Africa, with the diversity of the local market, first world know-how in business and a developing country environment making it an ideal test lab for new innovations.
The East London IDZ is constantly evolving and maturing in order to ensure its ICT offerings and services are market related and relevant. New services are added to ICT service catalogue as they are required by clients and adopted by the organisation.
ELIDZ service offerings are as follows:
- Internet as a Service
- Telephony as a Service
- Fibre as a Service
- Services Rack Hosting
For more information on our ICT services: email@example.com
Benefits in the ELIDZ:
- First class infrastructure
- Close proximity to transport network
- Expertise and knowledge from industry role players in East London (university IT department, Business Connexion, Dimension Data, Telkom)
Investment opportunities in ICT & Electronics:
- Automotive Electronics: Manufacturing of electronic systems & control modules, navigation systems, Instruments.
- Consumer Electronics: TV, radio and communications assembly in IDZs for export
- IT Hardware: CD, cell phone manufacture
- Machine Tools
- Technology Incubator: Support for IT & internet entrepreneurs through a technology park, supported by a university ICT faculty.
- Telecommunications: Business process outsourcing (BPO)
- IT Professional Services (including custom software application development and maintenance)
- Computer Software (package software products- cross industry and vertical market applications)
- Voice over IP (VoIP)
- Wireless software (financial transactions over mobile phones)
- Motor relays and pre-payment metering (develop expertise due to problems with payment of electricity and water bills)
- Electrical machinery (Electronic equipment and Appliances, Electric transformers, Electric hair care devices, Portable electric lamps, Electric hairdryers, Electric coffee & tea makers, Electric toasters