A Prime Environment to Locate Mariculture Investments
A combination of the Eastern Cape sub-tropical climate, access to good quality sea water, excellent aquaculture infrastructure and proximity to world renowned academic institutions are just some of the ingredients that make our aquaculture value offering a mouth-watering prospect for you.
Locating your business within the East London IDZ’s aquaculture sector bares the following premium benefits.
- – Favourable and dedicated institutional environment including policy and incentives
- – Vibrant and world class research and technical expertise
- – Favourable climate to most species
- – Dedicated 32 ha marine aquaculture cluster focused on recirculating systems
- – Agricultural zoning of 11 fully serviced sites in place
- – Environmental Impact Assessment approval for indigenous marine fish farming already granted for at least 10,000 tons annually in place
- – Environmental authorization for Barramundi, Rainbow trout, Atlantic salmon in place
- – Accessible high quality bulk sea water supply at 185 litres/second and effluent handling at 85% water recirculation per farmer
- – Seawater Quality Monitoring Program in place and
- – Importation of performance demonstrated Recirculating Aquaculture Systems technology in progress.
Aquaculture Incentive Scheme
The East London IDZ understands the importance of supporting businesses more especially start-up businesses. Within the Aquaculture sector we offer potential investors customised incentives. These tailor made incentives are available to inventors who wish to locate their business within the designated land in the zone. These are.
- – Aquaculture Incentive Scheme (Aquaculture Development & Enhancement Program) with up to R30m rebate.
- – Business plan for an Aquaculture Business Incubator with business case for reducing likelihood of enterprise failure, increasing sector skills & firming up investment pipeline for predictability.
- – Agricultural land zoned Aquaculture.
The ELIDZ Specific Possibility – Staggered rental
The investor only pays operating costs, utilities and levies for 12 months from date of occupation.
- – The net rental for the period amortised with repayment starting on month 49 since commencement date on the lease agreement in addition to full rental applicable.
- – The investor pays full rental (i.e. gross rental), utilities and levies from month 13.
- – ELIDZ procures the plans and pays for them, but with participation of investor in the process.
- – First bank guarantee to cover the cost of the building plans in the event that the investor is not ready to equip the rented buildings during the construction process.
- – Second bank guarantee (three months rental) against the prospect of being burdened with an unrented facility upon completion.
Future Plans to Improve Value Offering
Plans to further develop the sector are underway and these include the following:
- – Feasibility of an Oxygen Generation Plant; a Fish Feed Manufacturing Facility, a Fish Processing Facility & an Aquatic Animal Health Clinic
- – Aquaculture Business Incubator
All you need for marine aquaculture business in one zone
Ntobeko Bacela: Sector Manager – Aquaculture
T: +27 43 702 8213
F: +27 43 702 8251