OUR CSI INITIATIVES
The ELIDZ is committed to being a responsible corporate citizen and we take seriously our growing stature and responsibilities within the Buffalo City and wider Eastern Cape communities. This commitment to our feeder communities extends beyond our core mandate of facilitating growth and job creation. The IDZ welcomes our burgeoning involvement in fostering opportunity and development and is committed to ensuring that we have a demonstrably positive impact on the community we operate in.
This is the premise of our Corporate Social Investment programme. Corporate Social Investment is the support by the ELIDZ, either financially or otherwise, in identified developmental areas, to organisations and projects that seek to address the social needs of communities and society-at-large in a positive and sustainable way.
The ELIDZ CSI programme seeks to make a meaningful contribution to the promotion of community/society transformation and development firstly in its immediate community and, secondly in the greater Eastern Cape. Within the ELIDZ context, CSI is achieved through facilitating and creating platforms for social upliftment, the formulation of broad-based partnerships for development and Innovative and sustainable solutions for local, provincial and national developmental priorities.
Guided by the ELIDZ CSI policy, the following are our focus areas:
Education – support to schools in terms of educational infrastructure and equipment, teacher support, scarce skills development and bursary provision at tertiary level.
Social and community development – focus on improving community-based infrastructure and youth development, enhancing social cohesion and projects directed at food security and poverty alleviation.
Enterprise development– SMME business support – both direct and indirect - business coaching and mentoring, developing and creating links and partnership between established and emerging business and promoting the establishment of small businesses within communities.
Youth and sport development– sporting tournaments, providing for youth-development programmes in terms of skills and entrepreneurship development.
The ELIDZ CSI places emphasis on the following geographic spread of its CSI spend:
- 40% is prioritised on the immediate surrounding communities of West Bank townships (including Leeches Bay, Sunnyridge, Siyakha, Orange Grove, Santa, Bhongweni, West Bank Town, Greenfields, Ndlovini 1 and 2 and surrounding Ncera Villages.
- 35% is prioritised on the greater Buffalo City and Border Region and
- 25% is prioritised on the eastern rural part of the Eastern Cape Province.
Financial CSI support
- Financial material support for CSI initiatives
- Payment for developmental initiatives
- Payment to approved NGO’s, NPO’s and CBO’s in line with CSI applications
- Sponsorships and donations
Non-Financial CSI Support
- Employee volunteer programmes
- Provision of office and operating space
- CSI advisory provided by ELIDZ experts (at no charge)
At ELIDZ, we are committed to extending volunteering opportunities to bring about positive change to communities. To that end, the organisation has set aside the entire month of July for employee volunteering and has named it “Mandela Month”. Through ELIDZ CSI Committee approved initiatives, employees spend a decent number of hours away from work uplifting various communities.