A land of opportunity and growthThe East London IDZ is located in the Buffalo City Metropolitan Municipality, in the heart of the Eastern Cape province of South Africa. Our country enjoys an opportunity-rich, growing economy, with prime access to African, Asian and Indian markets. Our major exports include gold, minerals, diamonds, metals and metal products, foods, and automotive components. South Africa’s growing trade agreements with primary trading partners (Germany, USA, UK, China, Japan, and France) present great opportunities for business.
The Eastern Cape is one of the nine provinces in South Africa and is centrally located with rich potential. The province offers efficient linkages to multi-modal logistics (sea, road, rail and air networks) making it ideal for any market and resource seeking investors.
The Buffalo City Metro is located in the Eastern Cape Province. The city is positioned perfectly for inland trade with the rest of South Africa and global markets in Europe, Asia and America via the Port of East London. The city has an established manufacturing sector; including global players such as Mercedes Benz South Africa, Nestle Foods, Johnson and Johnson, Defy, First National Battery and Marley Flooring.
- Location (Southernmost tip of Africa)
- Area (1.2million sq km)
- Population (49.3 million)
- Currency (Rand)
- Time (GMT + 2 hrs)
- Main languages (11 official languages, English preferred business language)
- Total GDP (US$ 383.124 billion, 2010)
- Real GDP Growth 2010 (2.8 %, 3.5% forecast for 2011)
- Inflation CPI – 4.6 % y/y (May 2011), PPI – 6.6 % y/y (April 2011)
- Exports (Gold, minerals, diamonds, metals and metal products, foods, automotive components)
- Main trading partners (Germany, USA, UK, China, Japan, France)
- Location south-eastern part of South Africa
- Six district municipal areas and two metropolitan area, Nelson Mandela and Buffalo City Metros.
- More than 60% of the province is rural
- Urban nodes Port Elizabeth (Nelson Mandela Bay), East London (Buffalo City Municipality)
- Area 168,966 sq km
- Population 6.65 million (3rd largest of nine provinces)
- Sectors Automotive General manufacturing, Agriculture & agro-processing, Business process outsourcing offshoring (BPO), Information and communication technology (ICT) and electronics, Renewable energy
- Universities Rhodes University, Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University, University of Fort Hare and Walter Sisulu University